[GSL-Marina] Updates

Author: Dave Shearer
To: gsl-marina@mailman.xmission.com
Subject: [GSL-Marina] Updates
It looks like we have a good chance for strong northerly winds tomorrow. Northerly winds usually do not pose much of a threat to property at Great Salt Lake State Park and Marina. But it is a good reminder that windy season is just around the corner. Windy Season usually lasts from the 1st of October through May. This is also known as Frontal Season. Tomorrow's wind prediction is a great reminder to prepare your boats and property at Great Salt Lake for strong winds. Here are some tips:

Secure your sails! Make sure furling genoas are tightly wrapped and that an additional halyard is wrapped around the genoa. Shredded sails are expensive. And this can also lead to a dismasting.

Make sure all your clevis pins in your Standing Rigging are secured with STAINLESS STEEL cotter pins or split rings. A failure of a split ring or cotter pin can lead to a dismasting

Make sure you standing rig is properly tensioned.

Make sure your mainsail is put away in your boat or that it has a good mainsail cover. It also helps to wrap a line around the mainsail cover to keep it from ripping.

CHECK YOUR DOCK LINES!!!!! Dock lines fail from the inside-out. Salt crystals get inside the line and chafe the core. You can't always see the damage before a failure.

Secure your property! This includes checking your dock boxes, mounting bolts and lids.

Also, we have had an ok water year. Boats are still getting out. The lake is not dropping as fast as normal. Get out and enjoy the lake while you can. I'm thinking the 4 foot draft boats will be able to sail all year. The 5 foot drafts or more may start experiencing difficulties getting out soon.

There are some great events coming up soon. Stay tuned to the schedule on www.gslmarina.com<http://www.gslmarina.com> for these events.

Thanks
Dave

Dave Shearer