Re: [GSL-Marina] Lightning Strikes Sailboat

Author: Justin Banz
To: Dave Shearer
CC: gsl-marina@mailman.xmission.com
Subject: Re: [GSL-Marina] Lightning Strikes Sailboat
I was sailing from Sardinia, Italy to Lefkada, Greece when the 42’ Beneteau Cyclades was struck by lightning. Thankfully it didn’t sink the boat, but we lost all electronics, auto-pilot, gauges, the fridge, stereo, and even most of the light bulbs had blown up. It took three of us ten days, with three hour shifts, every six hours to navigate (luckily I had the full Navionics chart app on my phone and we used the spirit compass for our bearing) back to safety. The boat had to undergo major refitting over the course of the winter so that we could sail the next summer...

Stay safe out there!

Aloha,
Justin Banz

Sent from my iPhone