Re: M_Boats: Bow plate update

Author: Gerry Lempicki
To: vfpid, For and about Montgomery Sailboats
CC: gilasailr
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Bow plate update
Vern, you got a message out on the list by replying to that last message. I'm sure some much more experienced people will chime in, but we removed our centerboard on our early M-17 over the winter. To replace the pennant, you'll have to lower the centerboard to access the hole/shackle your line was tied to. I've heard people can do it by sliding the boat back on the trailer and digging a hole (depending on the trailer). I put our boat on stands since we were doing a bottom job too. There is a stop pin that the centerboard drops onto; my understanding is that they are faired/sealed over. Mine was missing, with a hole on the port side of the keel. I don't know if there is a preferred direction of removing it. Once that it out, the centerboard is free to drop lower. I'm not sure if that will allow you to get to it or if the pivot bolt has to be pulled too. We had our centerboard out to sandblast and repaint, so I tied the new line on when it was still on the floor.

-Gerry