[BSLWAC] Backstage - Policy Updates - October 11, 2016

Author: nate
To: bslwac
Subject: [BSLWAC] Backstage - Policy Updates - October 11, 2016
Policy Updates

        Karen Anderson, our authorities librarian, pointed out to us that there are three new relationship designators which were added to Appendix K in RDA Toolkit, seemingly without the usual opportunity for community comments or final approval of the RSC (RDA Steering Committee).

        -
founded corporate body of person - An organization that the person founded
        -
founded corporate body of family - An organization that the family founded
        -
founded corporate body of corporate body - A corporate body that the other corporate body founded

        If you find these confusing, you're not alone. There have been a lot of comments on the listservs and, so far, it seems the consensus is that many are unhappy about these new additions. In fact, a lot of posters are calling for them to be retracted or changed to something that makes more sense.

        These would usually be in $i in 5XX fields, such as:

        - 510 10
$i founded corporate body of corporate body $a Utah Dept. of Education $w r

        The
$w r is to tell the system that there is a $i in the field. The $i is valid in both bib and authority record formats in MARC; while these three would most likely be found in authorities, they might also find their way over to bibs as well.

        There have been other changes in relationship designators in the RDA lists, and we are considering making those updates in our programming as well.

Nate Cothran, PMP | Vice President, Automation ServicesBackstage Library Works | Provo, Utah & Bethlehem, Pennsylvania801.342.5697 | nate@??? | ac.bslw.com/mars | How am I doing?