Re: [BSLWAC] Backstage - NAF Cleanup Phase 3B Postponed

Author: Karen Anderson
To: Backstage Library Works Authority Contol Listserv
Subject: Re: [BSLWAC] Backstage - NAF Cleanup Phase 3B Postponed
Although most of the over 8 million authority records in the NAF will be changed during Phase 3B, the majority of the changes will not have any effect on bibliographic headings. The changes are mostly coding fixes like changing to code z in 008/10, and record enhancements such as adding ISNI numbers, adding $e rda to the 040, and adding 046 and 3XX fields where possible. But there will be some changes to headings that could affect bibliographic records. Although no changes will be made to the headings in 1XX fields during Phase 3B, second indicators and ending punctuation will be removed from 1XX as well as 4XX, and 5XX fields. Also, where possible, qualifiers will be added to 4XX fields that consist of initials or acronyms.

It won't be possible to opt out of Phase 3B without opting out of your normal authority updating. So our recommendation is that we at least send you the authority records that have had a heading changed during Phase 3B so you can keep your bibliographic headings updated. The rest of the records can just be kept in our copy of your authority file. Then as normal updates to the NAF are made going on from Phase 3B, we'll be able to send you the fully updated and enhanced records.

Please let us know if you would like more information or have any further questions.

Karen Anderson
Authority Control Librarian
Backstage Library Works
Provo, Ut