Re: MtMan-List: iron arrowheads made by the plains indians

Author: Pat Quilter
To: Dennis Fisher, rjbublitz, John Allen
CC: hist text
Subject: Re: MtMan-List: iron arrowheads made by the plains indians
The introduction to my copy of Edward Warren notes that many of the
episodes described are noted in other journals (although not necessarily
is as much detail), which lends credibility to Stewart's observations
and recounting of colorful events. We also have Stewart's own statement
that although fictionalized, it was his intention to provide an accurate
historical picture of a unique scene. My copy also has extensive end
notes tying many of Stewart's "quotes" to similar reports. We can assume
however that Stewart heard many of these events as campfire tales, so I
value his account mainly for the "color" that is generally lacking in
terse journals.

With full knowledge that my opinion is worth no more than any other, as
a summation of experiences gained on the trail, and based on extensive
readings of journals and contemporary literature, I submit that firearms
were the weapon of choice; the mountaineer (or any explorer) took great
care with their use and upkeep; this expertise was regarded as a key
advantage over native forces; and therefore, a bow would principally be
regarded as a curiosity or weapon of absolute last resort. Primitive
bows and arrows have individual personalities and it would be folly to
assume one could hit anything without extensive practice, or prior
expertise in archery, which is never mentioned. It is true, however,
that Spanish/Mexican culture depended much less on the gun, probably due
to poorer weapons and lack of supplies, so they were noted for their
expertise with reata, spear, and (as noted) archery. Although it would
be reasonable to imagine resorting to bows when firearms were lost or
useless, one would think such an event would be worth noting and I don't
recall any such mention, whereas more improvised weapons such as spears
may be noted during escapes etc.

Pat Quilter