Re: MtMan-List: San Luis Valley

Author: Christopher Ferguson
To: Paul W. Jones
CC: History Lists
Subject: Re: MtMan-List: San Luis Valley
Howdy Paul!
It's my understanding that the southern Ute used what might be considered the southern periphery of the San Luis Valley as a wintering ground... meaning the northern end of Taos Valley... I've explored this region at length and camped in many spots over the years and there is no spot where one ends and the other begins... the vicinity around Cerro de la Olla or less romantically known as "Pot Mountain" lies south of the CO/NM state line several miles, essentially west of present day Questa, this area has many remnant historical Ute camp sites. If you camp on the wooded lower slopes of the many shield volcanoes that define the valley floor you also avoid the extreme overnight cold temperatures that characterize both the San Luis and Taos Valleys 15-20 degrees warmer "lows" in winter are not uncommon when compared to Alamosa or Taos... game is abundant (today) as is fuelwood, -they knew something of their country, the Ute people.

Christopher Ferguson
Austin, TX