[Freshnews] Hey, Eat!

Author: freshnews
To: freshnews
Subject: [Freshnews] Hey, Eat!
Hey, Eat! Vol. 71, November 19, 2005
Liberty Heights Fresh – 1300 South at 1100 East, Salt Lake City – (801)
58-FRESH

Dear Flavor Lovers,
The traditional Thanksgiving feast is now less than one week away, and
we are ready with an abundance of full-flavored edibles to make your
celebration most memorable. As we begin our thirteenth season of
bringing you the very best traditional hand made foods, I want to thank
you for your support. Have a wonderful season, and please let us know
whatever we can do to make it one of full-flavor, conviviality, and
joyous eating!

What Are We Doing This Weekend?
For our choco-loving friends and folks down in the south valley—come say
“hello!” and sample the world’s best chocolate with us at the 2nd Annual
Utah Chocolate Show. We’ll be hanging out at our booth in the South Town
Expo Center spreading the good word about authentic chocolate.

Liberty Heights Fresh Booth @ the Utah Chocolate Show

Friday & Saturday 11am to 9pm
South Town Expo Center, 9575 S. State Street, Sandy
Tickets $7.50 (good for both days)/children under 10 are free

Fresh from the Bough
When the weather gets colder you can look forward to fruit as crisp as a
winter’s day. These fruits from the bough offer a versatile way to enjoy
the flavors of the season. There’s plenty of local bounty to savor, with
our huge selection of crisp local apples, as well as our late harvest of
Arkansas Black apples from Howard Albano. Along with his wife and son,
Howard runs Cayuma Orchards just outside of Santa Barbara, Ca. As the
name suggests, the variety originated in Benton County, Arkansas. It’s
noted for its firm texture, dark red peel, and deep wine flavors.

Quinces are lesser known to the American palate than the apple. But
cultures from the Mediterranean to Iran have long treasured this
fragrant fruit for its versatility in the pantry. Quinces range from
round to pear-shaped. They boast a golden yellow hue and are incredibly
tart when fresh. That’s why you’ll see most quince recipes calling for
some sort of cooking. Once its cooked down, the texture is soft, the
bitterness tamed, and the fragrance unleashed even more, which makes it
perfect for preserves, candy, baking, and even in a great Thanksgiving
dressing recipe! See below.

Organic Arkansas Black Apples (California)—$3.79/lb

Local Apples—$1.50/lb
Quince: Smyrna or Pineapple—$3.99/lb

American Pride
It’s party time. And what better occasion than this to break out a
lovely cheese platter to whet your guests’ appetites? This week, we’re
featuring a roster of American farmstead and artisanal cheese. What
exactly do those two words mean? Well, when a cheese is called
“farmstead” that means that happy milking cows, goats or sheep are on
premises, providing the milk necessary for the cheesemakers (also on
premises) to do their thing. “Artisanal” indicates that when the
cheesemakers are at work, they employ hand-methods (i.e. as little
mechanization as possible) to create the cheese. Right now, the country
has a lot to be proud of when it comes to farmstead artisanal cheeses.
Capriole O'Bannon is a New-World take on a French classic. These
slightly larger disks of tangy goat cheese are wrapped in chestnut
leaves soaked in bourbon as opposed to the traditional eau de vie. The
result is a lighter, zestier eating cheese with just enough kick from
the booze and tannins! MouCo ColoRouge is aesthetically pleasing with
its namesake reddish-orange hue and creamy cow’s milk flavor. Check out
the cheese counter for even more suggestions and great flavor.

Capriole O’Bannon—$12.99/each

MouCo ColoRouge—$8.99/each
Cowgirl Creamery Pierce Point—$22.99/lb
Meadow Creek Dairy Grayson—$16.99/lb
Old Chatham Sheepherding Company Hudson—$9.99/each

Platter Up!
It’s less than a week until the big feast. And chances are, you’re mind
has been preoccupied with thoughts of turkey, sumptuous sides, and pies.
But what about the day after? Thanksgiving can be exhausting. Especially
if you’re playing host. This year, let Liberty Heights Fresh help out at
the table with our new line of party platters and full catering menu! If
there are out of town guests to feed, we’ve got a delicious line of
brunch items including frittatas, jumbo muffins, and even a dreamy lemon
lavender loaf cake. If you’ve got munchies on the brain, our extensive
line of finger foods and party platters has something for everyone,
including cheese and charcuterie platters and salads. Stop by the cheese
counter and ask for a full menu for your holiday needs.

NEW! LHF Party Platter & Catering Menu—Pick Up a Brochure Today!!!

Turkey Alternative
We recently sold out of our flavorful Wight Family Farms turkeys. If
turkey isn’t your style, we have delicious Niman Ranch boneless hams
that are ready to eat. Simply heat through in the oven. We love putting
a glaze of thick cut marmalade and Dijon mustard before putting it into
the oven.

Niman Ranch Applewood Smoked Hams—$6.49/lb

RECIPE:       Quince, Rainbow Raisin, and Hazelnut Dressing
 Jon made this dish to go with a delicious Wight Family Farms turkey
during a recent Slow Food Utah event at the store. Needless to say, it
was a big hit with everyone and the recipe was a much sought after
thing. We thought it was too good to keep to ourselves. It makes the
perfect pairing for the holiday table. Seasonal, simple, and delicious!

1/2 pound, Plugra unsalted butter
5 celery stalks, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 medium quinces, peeled and diced
2 cups Rainbow Raisins (soaked in Tawny Port, optional)
2 cups hazelnut pieces, lightly toasted
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
16 cups of LHF Plain Sourdough Croutons
4 cups chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a heavy bottomed stock pot, melt the Plugra. Add the onion, celery,
and garlic and sauté. Add quince and raisins and sauté until the quince
has softened slightly. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until
blended. Salt and pepper to taste.

You can either fill the turkey cavity with the hot dressing mixture just
prior to placing the bird in the oven. Or place the mixture in a
casserole dish and cover and heat in a 350 degree for 35 minutes. Serve
warm.

Hey, Eat!
Steven

P.S. We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. However, if you'd
rather not receive future e-mails from Liberty Heights Fresh, please
click here <mailto:steven@libertyheightsfresh.com?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>
to unsubscribe.

© Liberty Heights Fresh 2005