[Freshnews] Hey, Eat!

Author: freshnews
To: freshnews
Subject: [Freshnews] Hey, Eat!
Hey, Eat! Vol. 69, November 3, 2005
Liberty Heights Fresh - 1300 South at 1100 East Salt Lake City - (801)
58-FRESH

While harvesting a neighbor's quince tree a few days ago, I was reminded
of the apple harvests back on the family farm. Hoisting a ladder and
harnessing a picking sack brought back thoughts about what recipes can
be dusted off and put to use as the trees shed their leaves and their
fruit. The abundance of great things to eat, along with the vast
assortment of colors, make for a season of cooking, baking, and eating
that is truly a time for celebration at the table!

Persephone's Fruit
Of all the fruit in the world, the arils (juice sacs/seeds) of the
pomegranate are most like jewels. Little gems of deep garnet are plump
with tangy juice that stains fingertips and lips a wonderful shade.
Though originating in Iran, its popularity took it all the way to the
Mediterranean where people not only ate it raw but cooked the juice down
into molasses; it also took on a significant symbolic meaning. The size
of a grapefruit with dark pink, leathery skin, it was curiously
associated with Hades and the Underworld in Greek Mythology. Persephone
ate the seeds of the pomegranate, which unknowingly bound her to the
dark world of Hades. Prior to her sentence, she was granted a respite
and allowed to spend time on earth with her mother Demeter - a time of
renewal that we humans know as spring.

As the weather gets colder and the trees lose their leaves, it's fun to
think Persephone is making good on her pomegranate promise. You don't
have to make such heavy vows when you enjoy one of George Cunningham's
pomegranates. Simply enjoy the summer sunshine of his North San Diego
county hillside orchards with every bright aril. It's easy - just cut a
pomegranate in half and hold it over a bowl of water. Use a wooden spoon
to smack the uncut side to coax the seeds out.

George Cunningham's Organic Pomegranates (So. California) $2.99/each

Riso for Your Risotto
For great risotto, rice matters. In parts of Northern Italy, they eat a
lot more rice than pasta. And rice fields of Arborio, Carnaroli, and
Vialone Nano cover the marshy areas around the Piedmont region and
supply the exquisite rice for Principato di Lucedio. All three are
short-grain varieties with high starch content. That opaque belly you
see in each kernel is the tasty starch that makes for creamy risotto.
Every time you add broth or give the pan a stir, you're coaxing out that
goodness. Everyone has a favorite. Arborio is consistent and the most
well known. Carnaroli is a much rarer variety that's a pain to grow, but
so worth the effort-chefs say it absorbs more, meaning more flavor. And
Vialone Nano is a relatively unknown variety that's known as the "rustic
cousin" to the other two. Folks use it for risotto as well as other
wonderfully soupy dishes like the Veneto's risi e bisi-rice and peas.

Principato di Lucedio Arborio $4.99/500 grams
Principato di Lucedio Carnaroli $5.99/500 grams
Principato di Lucedio Vialone Nano $4.99/500 grams

Our Daily Bread
When we say we sell only freshly-baked bread, we mean it. The loaves are
delivered within hours after coming out of the oven everyday before we
open. What you see behind the register is simply the day's best from
local bakeries Avenues Bakery, Crumb Brothers Artisan Breads (no Sunday
bread), Stoneground and Vosen's Bread Paradise. And we begin anew
everyday-not one single baguette, rosemary loaf, Roman round, or
ciabatta is more than 24 hours old. That's our daily bread promise to
you.

Avenues Bakery loaves & baguettes$1.49-$4.79

Crumb Brothers Loaves & Baguettes $3.29-$5.00
Stoneground Roman Rounds, Rolls & Baguettes $.33 to $3.89
Vosen's Bread Paradise $2.79-$4.99

Ancient Treat, Modern Tastes

Joan Koukos heard the call of chocolate after a trip to Brussels. From
her tiny New York City kitchen, the talented businesswoman dabbled in
this edible art and created gifts for her friends and colleagues. The
sentiment was unanimous-the chocolates were good. It was enough to make
her switch gears from a successful and hectic corporate career to go on
the path of chocolatier. Fast forward a few years and you have Chocolat
Moderne; America's latest player in the artisan chocolate movement.
These little works of art feature unique pattern stenciling to tease the
eye. But it's the flavor that creates Joan's fans. Grapefruit infused
caramel in a dark chocolate shell. Sesame brittle within a truffle
filling. And even a line of hot chocolates perfect for cold-weather
sipping that combine the likes of cardamom and coconut or espresso and
fleur de sel.

8 Flavors of Chocolat Moderne Bistro Bars $6.99/2.5 oz. bar

4 Flavors of Chocolat Moderne Hot Chocolates $18.99/13 oz. canister

A Friendly Fresh Turkey Reminder
There's still time to reserve your local free-range, hormone and
anti-biotic free turkey. These birds from Wight Family Farms make the
best Thanksgiving turkeys for your table. They're fresh, not frozen. And
they're ready for you days before the big holiday. We can even brine
them for you in our own LHF recipe-all you need to do is roast and
you're guaranteed one juicy and flavorful bird.

Wight Family Turkeys (Hormone & Antibiotic-Free!)-$1.89/lb; $3.99/lb
(brined)

Hey, Eat!
Steven

P.S. We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. However, if you'd
rather not receive future e-mails from Liberty Heights Fresh, please
click here <mailto:steven@libertyheightsfresh.com?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>
to unsubscribe.

C Liberty Heights Fresh 2005