[Freshnews] Hey, Eat!

Author: freshnews
To: freshnews
Subject: [Freshnews] Hey, Eat!
Hey, Eat! Vol. 66, October 14, 2005
Liberty Heights Fresh – 1300 South at 1100 East Salt Lake City – (801)
58-FRESH

Indian summer is so sweet! Especially as I venture south to select and
blend apple varieties for our authentic apple cider –arriving tonight.
The delicate nuances of flavor, and the crisp snap found in each apple
variety makes this season time to dream about the old orchards of my
youth in Southwestern Michigan. Those dreamy sunny days of up and down
the ladder with picking sacks full of blushing beauties, singing birds
and autumn air are but a distant view. The connection of those flavors
and fond memories are just another reason to rejoice in the pleasures of
our local harvest while they last!

Making Room for the Holidays…
Air arrivals of Italian Venchi chocolates, cases of the season’s
first-pressing extra-virgins, and luscious treats from the best candy
makers and bakeries are making their way to Salt Lake City. You know the
holidays are coming up at The Fresh when we’re anticipating their
arrival. But there’s one more thing we’ve got to do—make room! So before
our holiday bounty arrives, we want to clear out the store with a huge
sale of your favorite treats. Everything from Tuscan olive oils to the
beloved Parmigiano-Reggiano will be marked down 20-40%! It’s the perfect
time to stock up and hold on to this year’s flavors or simply take
advantage of the great value.
THE BIG SALE! October 20th–30th
Up to 40% off dozens of your favorite full flavored foods

Steven and His Cider –Arriving tonight!

Take seven varieties of apples from our neighbors to the south. As is,
what you’d end up with is a big pile of apples. Flavorful and colorful,
sure. Fiber-rich, certainly. And potentially a case of wicked TMJ if
you’d tried to go through the amount needed to make one good gallon of
apple cider. But once they take a jump into the juicer, they transform
into one flavor-saturated and glass-friendly way to savor autumn
flavors. LHF’s signature recipe includes Jonathan, Jonagolds, Golden and
Red Delicious, Empires, Braeburns, and Fujis. It’s delicious cold or
piping hot. And though we think it’s pretty damn good as is, we won’t
care if you pour in a bit of rum or better yet, calvados. Or let some
simmer down into a syrup and drizzle over pancakes or waffles. Just sip
and trip!

LHF Apple Cider—$4.99/gallon, $2.99/half-gallon

Underrated Root

Celeriac. Celery knob. Organic Celery Root. It’s all the same. This
knobby and, well, rather ugly root vegetable gets overlooked thanks to
our keen eye for all things pretty. But, despite drab appearances, it’s
one of the most delicious things to enjoy during the colder seasons.
Consider it a more complex potato. Its flavor has been described as a
cross of strong celery and parsley. It’s herbal, even medicinal, and
adds a whole new dimension of flavor cooked and mashed with potatoes. In
fact, that’s how you’d treat it in the kitchen, like the popular tuber.
You can even try it fresh, thinly sliced, julienned, or grated in salads
with a cider vinaigrette.

Organic Celery Root—$2.49/lb

Sherry Vinegar
Okay, we love balsamic. Everyone loves balsamic. But in the wide world
of vinegars, it’s not the only player on the roster. There’s a whole
kaleidoscope of colors and flavors that rightfully deserve your
attention and playtime in the kitchen. One of our favorites hails from
Spain. Of course, Spanish cuisine has been making waves in the country
lately. And we’re proud to say that we have a great selection of Spanish
goods that are truly delicious. And Las Llaves Sherry Vinegar is one
such product. Folks don’t know what to expect. They think sherry and
they think exclusively Amontillados or Olorosos—almost sickly sweet. But
this fortified oak aged wine vinegar from the Iberian Peninsula exhibits
a great range of flavor that translates into a one tangy and versatile
bottle for the pantry. It’s wonderfully smooth, with resiny-notes like
golden raisins. And there’s just enough kick to balance out sultry oils
in a vinaigrette or marinade. It adds a complementing tang to
characteristically sweet things like fall squashes. Make up a batch of
mashed butternut squash and potatoes and sprinkle in a tablespoon or two
of the Las Llaves and taste the whole thing come together!

Las Llaves Sherry Vinegar (Spain) — Now $13.99/375 ml bottle

No Emmi, please.
With the weather getting colder and appetites, heartier, it’s time to up
the ante with cheese. It may be the thick sweaters or the turtlenecks,
but suddenly we’re up for bolder flavor we couldn’t stomach in balmy
temps. English and Vermont cheddars and toffee-like aged Goudas fit the
bill. But when it comes to high altitude and cold-weather cheeses, think
Swiss. Not necessarily the hole-strewn wedges on Tom & Jerry cartoons.
We’re talking big wheels of unpasteurized aged cow’s milk cheese. Now,
get the supermarket varieties out of your mind, too. In our cheese case,
we’re featuring Rolf Beeler’s Farmstead Emmenthaler. Beeler’s
Appenzeller, Gruyère, and Hoch Ybrig have a huge fan base, including Bay
Area cheese maven Janet Fletcher. If you’re a fan of cheese fondue,
you’ll want to pick up a piece or two to throw into the pot. This cheese
has got more “oomph” than the standard variety. Of course, if you don’t
believe us, you can do a taste comparison and see for yourself. But we
think you’ll agree. Rolf Beeler is the real deal.

Rolf Beeler Farmstead Emmenthaler- Now $15.99/lb

Classic Swiss Fondue
Moutie- moutie (means half and half) probably the most classic and
classy fondue recipe. Serves 4 people.

1 lbs. Emmenthaler or Gruyere, coarsely shredded
1 lbs. Vacherin Fribourgeois, coarsely shredded
whole garlic cloves, as desired peeled
16 oz. dry white wine
Black pepper
2 teaspoons corn starch
2 oz. kirsch (cherry brandy from Switzerland)
½ teaspoon lemon juice

Procedure: Cut one of the garlic cloves in half and rub the caquelon
(fondue pan) with the cut side (gives flavor and also prevents the
cheese from sticking to the pan). Put the cheese, garlic, and the wine
into the caquelon. Put the caquelon on the stove and heat over medium
heat. Stir with a wooden spoon, add pepper without stopping stirring. As
soon as the cheese is melted dissolve the corn starch in the kirsch and
stir into the cheese mix. Add the lemon juice and keep stirring until
the mix is really creamy and homogeneous. Place the caquelon on the
rechaud (heater) and start eating immediately.

For blue cheese lovers: For the cheese add 10 oz. gruyere, 10 oz.
Vacherin Fribourgeois and 12 oz. gorgonzola dolce (cut into cubes) and
proceed as described above.

Fondue Do’s and Don’ts
Always use a wooden spoon and never stop stirring from the moment you
put the caquelon on the stove until you move it over to the rechaud.
Later at the table make sure at every moment at least one person is
moving the fondue.

Serve with plain bread such as baguette, ciabatta, etc., or boiled
potatoes to dip in the fondue. Either cut them into bit sized pieces or
just let guests tear off a whole loaf.

Traditionalist take a break when the caquelon is about half-empty and
toast with a little glass of pure kirsch. This is good for digestion
too.

Leave the garlic cloves alone until most of the cheese is gone. By then
they will be cooked through and sweetly tender.

As a tradition He/She who looses a piece of bread or potato in the
fondue has to pay for the next bottle of wine.

Serve a dry white wine with your fondue; in the best case the same one
used for cooking the fondue. For kids and people who don’t drink alcohol
black tea is the perfect match. Or as always water.

Depending on how long it takes you and your guest to polish off a fondue
you will find a more or less big area of caramelized cheese on the
bottom of the caquelon. It is called the croute (crust). Many people
look at it as the dessert of the meal. Scrape it off the bottom with
your fork. Delicious...

Those who prefer another little course between the fondue and the croute
dessert will crack an egg over the croute and just an instant later will
devour the tastiest sunny-side up egg they ever had...

Hey, Eat!
Steven

P.S. We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. However, if you'd
rather not receive future e-mails from Liberty Heights Fresh, please
click here <mailto:steven@libertyheightsfresh.com?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>
to unsubscribe.

© Liberty Heights Fresh 2005