[Exotica] BURT BACHARACH & HAL DAVID: THE LIBRARY OF CONGRES…

Author: lousmith
To: exotica
Subject: [Exotica] BURT BACHARACH & HAL DAVID: THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS GERSHWIN PRIZE FOR POPULAR SONG
9 P.M. May 21
http://www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewhitehouse/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/09/library-of-congress-gershwin-prize_n_1502974.html
BURT BACHARACH & HAL DAVID: THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS GERSHWIN PRIZE FOR POPULAR SONG
In 1957 the composer Mr. Bacharach (above, with President Obama) and Mr. David, the lyricist, were introduced in the Brill Building, the popular music hub on Broadway in Manhattan. The resulting collaboration was a soundtrack for the 1960s featuring more than 100 songs, from “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head” and “What the World Needs Now Is Love” to “I Say a Little Prayer” and “Walk On By.” The president recently presented the men with the Gershwin Prize, the first team to receive the honor. (An ailing Mr. David could not attend.) In this concert, presented by “In Performance at the White House,” Mr. Bacharach, 83, is serenaded by Sheryl Crow; Michael Feinstein; Diana Krall; Lyle Lovett; Mike Myers, who dons a spangled suit à la Austin Powers for a rendition of “What’s New Pussycat?”; and Dionne Warwick, the artist most closely associated with the songwriters.