[HPMC] Rocky Anderson about Climate Change

Author: Healthy Planet Mobilization Committee
To: pen-l, marxism, hpmc
Subject: [HPMC] Rocky Anderson about Climate Change

Rocky Anderson said this too:

> My view is, as long as we are breathing air, as long as we
> are able to stand up and go out and fight, however we can,
> we got a responsibility to do it, responsibility to
> ourselves, responsibility to our nation, responsibility to
> later generations.

He said this on April 1 during a 45 minute interview
conducted by Vietnam Vet and activist Don Anderson. Don
asked Rocky which topic Rocky found most important, and
Rocky, after establishing his credentials and his general
principles, started out with climate change. I made a
transcript of this interview from 13:42 until 19:00. I
didn't find a link to this interview on the voterocky.org
web site, it is
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/themaryandsallieshow/2012/04/02/the-mary-and-sallie-show-sundays-at-six

ROCKY: One area in particular I['d like to] talk about that
is climate protection. The need for our country to lead out
on energy independence, a clean energy economy, and
combating climate change and providing international
leadership, because if we don't there is going to be
catastrophic consequences world wide and many of these
consequences certainly are going to be felt in our country
by our children and later generations. We are already
seeing a lot of those consequences now, but now the
important thing is, now is the only time we can act to have
any real impact because if we wait much longer it's going to
be irreversible.

DON: I have friends up in Alaska, they are native Americans,
and they live right on the shore, and they are losing their
land. They just had to, fortunately congress allowed them
to move their tribal lands into BLM forest area, higher
ground so that they can maintain their traditions their
families and villiage there. I know that is happening in
some of the island nations that might only be two or three
feet above sea level, they are already seeing the effects of
water in their yards and having to live basically on decks
up above the water and in their boats. They are not getting
the help they need from the United Nations and the other
nations around the world.

ROCKY: That is just the tip of the iceberg, to use perhaps
an apt metaphor. It is happening in Tuvalu, and we are
going to see it more and more along coastal areas, and
eventially there are going to be hundreds of millions
environmental refugees who displaced from their lands, we
are going to see droughts, we are going to see torrential
rainfalls wiping out places, we are going to see the
destruction, we are already seeing the destruction but it is
going to get to the point where because of the melting of
glaciers there is not going to be the year-round water
resources that people rely upon coming from these glaciers.
So the impacts are going to be unbelievable. Something life
which we have never seen during human history. People
[will] look back and say, wait a minute they knew about this
and they didn't do anything about it? And the United States
being the biggest polluter didn't step forward taking the
necessary measures to provide that international leadership?
So we need that, but we also need the kind of leadership
that will say no longer do we allow ourselves or anyone
else to engage in wars of aggression. We tried people and
convicted them during the Nurenberg tribunal for wars of
aggression, yet we are doing these exact things right now,
and again with disastrous long-term impact, and it is all
contrary to our own nation's security let alone the security
of literally billions of people around the world.

DON: They don't have the resources which we have in the States
to even consider combating what they are up against.

ROCKY: It all comes down to leadership, Don. We cannot rely
on just any one person, or on congress, it really takes
people organizing at the grassroots. Every major social
movement where we saw progress in this country came about
because people at the grassroots organized, they were
tenacious about it, they didn't sit back and wait for
others to take action, they took on the responsibility, they
felt an accountability. As a result, we saw an end to
slavery in this coutnry, we saw women's suffrage -- the
woman's right to vote, we saw the civil rights movement
succeed, we saw the labor movement succeed -- and they were
up against a lot of money! These people who were so cynical
and resigned and said, oh we don't have any faith in the
electoral system any more, we are just not going to vote, we
are not going to take part in it any more, they are a huge
part of the problem because they have already thrown in the
towel. My view is, as long as we are breathing air, as long