Re: Jurg Wickihalder ( Bohemia in Exile concert series ) 3/…

Author: Robert Renton
To: zorn-list
Subject: Re: Jurg Wickihalder ( Bohemia in Exile concert series ) 3/25/12
Thanks for the link, Keith.

I think it's fair to say that I am tolerant of a certain amount of non-standard saxophone technique, but the YouTube video there leaves me cold: blowing into the bell doesn't seem like an effect that has any relevance or bearing to the rather conventional piece that follows. It strikes me as pure sensationalism. If you're going to do something wacky, I would have thought that you'd want to turn that wackiness to some compositional advantage.

I've never heard Wickihalder before (a performer almost unknown to Wikipedia!) and perhaps he "sells" his technique better elsewhere. Am I alone, though, in hearing slight (unintentional) timing problems between him and the band in this live performance?

Robert Renton