SLFS List We Need to Talk About Kevin, Forgiveness of Blood,…

Author: Tori Baker
Subject: SLFS List We Need to Talk About Kevin, Forgiveness of Blood, the West Side Story Tickets announced
<http://saltlakefilmsociety.org/creature-comforts/>
*__*
*
**
*

We've reached 20% of our goal!
Huge thanks to everyone who donated yesterday to our seating!
We're well on our way to upgraded seats at the Broadway
Every $1 matched up to $54,000!
Every individual makes a difference in reaching our goal
*
*$10 <http://saltlakefilmsociety.org/creature-comforts/> - *receive a
commemorative Creature Comforts button
*$50 <http://saltlakefilmsociety.org/creature-comforts/> -* receive a
free SLFS t-shirt and Creature Comforts Button
*$100 <http://saltlakefilmsociety.org/creature-comforts/> -* receive a
Super 8 membership with t-shirt and button
*$250 <http://saltlakefilmsociety.org/creature-comforts/> -* receive a
Panaflex membership with button
*$500 <http://saltlakefilmsociety.org/creature-comforts/> *- You're own
name on a theater seat (they're this color by the way)

*<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6U9ZKYP2HK576>*

/*SLFS MEMBER */*/PREMIERE screening & reception
Tonight 7pm/*
Broadway Centre - Free for all members
*Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Blake Edwards' classic!/
Breakfast at Tiffany's/*
Join us for Croissants and Champagne, those interested in joining at the
event welcome.
*

* */It's Good to Be Young
//Free Youth Screening/
Tonight
7:05
Broadway
SLFS' audience building program for under 21 audiences.
Free Admission everyone under 21 years of age with proof of I.D.
Every Tuesday at 7pm: Follow us on Facebook to hear each week's film
announced. *

*Being Flynn <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/being-flynn>
*Writer-director Paul Weitz turns his hand to this moving portrait of
fathers and sons. Based on a true story, Being Flynn follows Nick Flynn
(Paul Dano) who is shocked to have his eccentric and long-absent father,
Jonathan (Robert De Niro) reach out to him unexpectedly. Still feeling
the loss of his mother (played in flashbacks by Julianne Moore) in the
midst of starting a new relationship with Denise (Olivia Thirlby), the
last person Nick wants to see is his father. But you can't outrun fate.
(102 mins, R)

**** NPR "It's easy to imagine Being Flynn's story turning precious in
the wrong hands, but Weitz and his cast spin it just right - as a
narrative that is both emotionally real, and just writerly enough to
suit its leading men."

*OPENING AT THE THEATERS THIS WEEK!*

/*Tower Through Time */
*<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036244/>**Shane
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046303/>*

From director George Stevens, this compelling western tells the story
of A weary gunfighter who attempts to settle down with a homestead
family until a smoldering settler/rancher conflict forces him to act.

Staring Alan Ladd
Don't miss this chance to see such a formidable and influential film on
the big screen.

*
We Need <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/we-need-to-talk-about-kevin>***
<http://www.metacritic.com/movie/we-need-to-talk-about-kevin>*to Talk
About Kevin <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/we-need-to-talk-about-kevin>*
*Broadway
Opens Fri 3/23-29: *12:00, 2:20, 4:40, 7:00, 9:15
We Need to Talk About Kevin explores the factious relationship between a
mother and her evil son. Tilda Swinton plays the mother, Eva, as she
contends for 15 years with the increasing malevolence of her first-born
child, Kevin. Based on the best-selling novel of the same name, We Need
to Talk About Kevin explores nature vs. nurture on a whole new level as
Eva's own culpability is measured against Kevin's innate evilness.
(Oscilloscope Laboratories)

****Roger Ebert "As a portrait of a deteriorating state of mind, We Need
to Talk About Kevin is a masterful film."
*

**<http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-forgiveness-of-blood>Forgiveness
of Blood <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-forgiveness-of-blood>
Broadway
Opens Fri 3/23-29: *12:00, 2:15, 4:30, 7:05, 9:20
Nik is a carefree teenager in a small town with a crush on the school
beauty and ambitions to start his own internet café. His world is
suddenly up-ended when his father and uncle become entangled in a land
dispute that leaves a fellow villager murdered. According to a
centuries-old code of law, this entitles the dead man's family to take
the life of a male from Nik's family as retribution. His uncle in jail
and his father in hiding, Nik is the prime target and confined to the
home while his younger sister Rudina is forced to leave school and take
over their father's business. (Sundance Selects

****Washington Post "It's a thriller that feels like a documentary."
*

HELD OVER!!*

*Jeff Who Lives at Home
<http://www.metacritic.com/movie/jeff-who-lives-at-home>
Broadway
Thru Thurs 3/29: *12:15, 2:15, 4:15, 7:20, 9:20
A new comedy from the Duplass brothers (Cyrus, Baghead) starring Jason
Segel, Ed Helms and Susan Sarandon. On his way to the store to buy wood
glue, Jeff looks for signs from the universe to determine his path.
However, a series of comedic and unexpected events leads him to cross
paths with his family in the strangest of locations and circumstances.
Jeff just may find the meaning of his life...and if he's lucky, pick up
the wood glue as well. (83 mins, R)

*** Variety "The Duplass brothers take another step toward conventional
Hollywood storytelling without sacrificing the sincere, true-to-life
quality that got studios interested in the first place."

*Friends with Kids <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/friends-with-kids>
Broadway
Thru Thurs 3/29: *12:15, 2:30, 4:45, 7:10, 9:25
Friends With Kids is a comedy about a close-knit circle of friends at
that moment in life when children arrive and everything changes. The
last two singles in the group observe the effect that kids have had on
their friends' relationships and wonder if there's a better way. They
decide to have a kid together - and date other people. This
unconventional 'experiment' leads everyone in the group to question the
nature of friendship, family and, finally, true love. Starring Adam
Scott, Kristen Wiig, Jon Hamm, Maya Rudolph and Edward Burns. (107 mins, R)

*** The Hollywood Reporter "The co-screenwriter of "Kissing Jessica
Stein" goes solo as writer and director with a romantic comedy that
takes time to find its groove but steadily accumulates heart and humor."

*Rampart <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/rampart>
Broadway (moves to Tower on Fri 3/23)
Thru **Thurs 3/22: *7:15, 9:30
*Starting Fri 3/23-3/29:* Moves to Tower 2:10, 9:15
Los Angeles, 1999 - Officer Dave Brown (Harrelson) is a Vietnam vet and
a Rampart Precinct cop, dedicated to doing "the people's dirty work" and
asserting his own code of justice, often blurring the lines between
right and wrong to maintain his action-hero state of mind. When he gets
caught on tape beating a suspect, he finds himself in a personal and
emotional downward spiral as the consequences of his past sins and his
refusal to change his ways in light of a department-wide corruption
scandal seal his fate. (108 mins, R)

**** Roger Ebert "Harrelson is an ideal actor for the role. Especially
in tensely wound-up movies like this, he implies that he's looking at
everything and then watching himself looking."

*A Separation (Jodaeiye Nader az Simin)
<http://www.metacritic.com/movie/a-separation>
Broadway
Thru Thurs 3/22: *12:20, 4:00, 7:00*, 9:35 /(*no 7:00 screening Tues 3/20)/
*Starting 3/23-29:* 12:20. 7:00* (*/no Mon 3/26 showing/)
*Winner of Best Foreign Film Oscar! *Set in contemporary Iran, A
Separation is a compelling drama about the dissolution of a marriage.
Morally complex, suspenseful, and consistently involving, A Separation
captures the messiness of a dissolving relationship with keen insight
and searing intensity. Winner of the Golden and Silver Bears at Berlin
and nominated for Best Foreign Film and Original Screenplay Oscars. (123
mins, PG-13, Persian w/ subtitles)

**** Time "However ripe A Separation might seem for being adapted into a
smart American film, Hollywood shouldn't bother. Farhadi's movie is just
about perfect as it is."

*Pina <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/pina>*
*Tower
Thru **Thurs 3/29**: *12:00, 7:00* (*/no 3/29 7pm/)
In his exhilarating new film, German master Wim Wenders (Wings of
Desire, The Buena Vista Social Club) captures the brilliantly inventive
dance world of legendary choreographer Pina Bausch.Sensual and visually
stunning, the film uses expert photography, taking the audience into
Bausch's work in her imaginative sets (a gliding monorail, a bare stage
covered with chairs, a towering man-made waterfall) and powerfully
rendering the beauty and sheer physicality of the dances and dancers of
her Tanztheater Wuppertal ensemble. (103 mins, PG)

**** Los Angeles Times "Whether you're familiar with Pina Bausch's work
or not, the new film Pina is a knockout."

*The Artist <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-artist>
Broadway
Thru Thurs 3/29**: *12:10, 2:25, 4:35, 7:15, 9:30
*Winner of FIVE Oscars including Best Picture!* Hollywood 1927. George
Valentin is a silent movie superstar. The advent of the talkies will
sound the death knell for his career and see him fall into oblivion. For
young extra Peppy Miller, it seems the sky's the limit - major movie
stardom awaits. This film tells the story of their interlinked
destinies. A crowd-pleasing tribute to the magic of silent cinema, The
Artist is a clever, joyous film with delightful performances and visual
style to spare. (100 mins, PG-13)

**** Roger Ebert "Here is one of the most entertaining films in many a
moon, a film that charms because of its story, its performances and
because of the sly way it plays with being silent and black and white."

*The Iron Lady <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-iron-lady>
Broadway
Thru **Thurs 3/22: *12:05, 2:35, 4:50
*Starting 3/23-29:* 4:00, 9:35
*Winner of Best Actress, Meryl Streep! *The Iron Lady is a surprising
and intimate portrait of Margaret Thatcher (Meryl Streep in an
Oscar-nominated role), the first and only female Prime Minister of The
United Kingdom. One of the 20th century's most famous and influential
women, Thatcher came from nowhere to smash through barriers of gender
and class to be heard in a male dominated world. (105 mins, PG-13)

**** New York Post "Sincerely directed by one woman (Phyllida Lloyd, who
did "Mamma Mia!") and smartly written by another (Abi Morgan), the film
stars an unsurpassable Meryl Streep, whose ability to empathize with her
characters has never been more gloriously impassioned than it is in this
titanic performance."

*LAST CHANCE!
Ends this week...*
*Being Flynn <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/being-flynn>Broadway thru
Thurs 3/22 *12:00, 2:10, 4:20, 7:05, 9:15
*Crazy Horse <http://www.metacritic.com/movie/crazy-horse>Tower thru
3/22 *2:10, 9:15

*_______________________

*

*PROGRAMS AND NEWS*

*/Can't Fly to London?/
**Just attend the Broadway's presentation of National Theatre in London!**
Saturday, March 31
Noon; Broadway
**$15 admission ($12 for SLFS members, $8.50 for students)*
*Presented by Tanner Humanities Center in collaboration with SLFS *

*THE COMEDY OF ERRORS
**
*National Theatre Live website
<http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/67933/productions/the-comedy-of-errors.html>

The Tanner Humanities Center at the University of Utah presents National
Theatre Live - a groundbreaking initiative to broadcast performances
from Britain's stages to cinemas worldwide. The next production to be
captured in high definition from London and exhibited by The Tanner
Humanities Center will be Shakespeare's The Comedy of Errors. The
screening will be held on *March 31st* at *noon* at the *Broadway
Centre*. Tickets are $15 for general admission, $12 for SLFS members
and $8.50 for students. More information may be found and tickets may
purchased here <http://www.thc.utah.edu/?pageId=5818>.

Two sets of twins separated at birth collide in the same city without
meeting for one crazy day, as multiple mistaken identities lead to
confusion on a grand scale. And for no one more so than Antipholus of
Syracuse and his servant Dromio who, in search of their brothers, arrive
in a land entirely foreign to their distant home. A buzzing metropolis,
to the outsiders it appears a place of wonderment and terror, where
baffling gifts and unexplained hostilities abound.

Consistently recognised by strangers, the visitors question their very
selves as the turmoil escalates. Meanwhile, Aegeon, father to the
Antipholus twins, has been captured searching for his sons and, as an
illegal immigrant, is sentenced to death at sunset. Shakespeare's
furiously paced comedy will be staged in a contemporary world into which
walk three prohibited foreigners who see everything for the first time.
Lenny Henry plays Antipholus of Syracuse.

/*SING WITH: GREAT MUSICALS */
*West Side Story:
Sing with: the Jets & the Sharks *

*Tickets on sale March 30th at the Tower
$15
$12 for SLFS members
Family pass also available *

*Admission includes: Emcee introductions, costume awards, gift bag and fun
Be sure to come sing with the Jets and the Sharks*

*Follow SLFS for special info and discounts!
<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#%21/pages/Salt-Lake-Film-Society/100487846670866>
<http://twitter.com/SaltLakeFilmSoc>**<http://www.youtube.com/saltlakefilmsociety>*
Make sure to join right here <http://twitter.com/SaltLakeFilmSoc> for
exclusive deals and info. Follow SLFS for special info and discounts!
You can also follow our Executive Director, Tori Baker by clicking here.
<http://twitter.com/FilmSocietyTori>

*_
_*=============================================================
*
*
*Staff*
Our staff here at the Salt Lake Film Society thanks all our supporters.
SLFS takes great care in hiring a staff that has a film history or
knowledge, so feel free to talk with any staff member about up coming
releases and our video collection at the Tower Theatre. They are a
wealth of knowledge and I'm happy to take all e-mail correspondence.

*Volunteer*
If you would like to volunteer for the Film Society events, please
contact Amy Beth Leber at 801-746-0037 <tel:801-746-0037> or
amybeth_leber@???
<mailto:amybeth_leber@???>

We thank you for your continuing support.
*

**Salt Lake Film Society gives
SPECIAL THANKS to MEMBERS LIKE YOU
&
Our sponsors:*

**

*please consider the environment before printing this email*

*<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6U9ZKYP2HK576>*

<http://saltlakefilmsociety.org/creature-comforts/>
*I WANT TO DONATE TO SLFS CREATURE COMFORTS*
*SLFS is a 501c-3 nonprofit organization *
*Our mission: *
**Salt Lake Film Society is the premiere film establishment of our
community. We promote diversity of film exhibition and creation. We
educate, advocate, and inform about and through cinema. We foster film
talent and cultivate film appreciation and participation. Our programs
and venues ensure that the potent ideas and voices of film are
accessible to our community

Just click the above link to donate via PayPal
(memberships@???
<mailto:memberships@???>) orbecome a member today
<http://www.saltlakefilmsociety.org/membership.html>.
Feel free to specify Broadway or Tower comforts in the comment section
of your donation

*
*

Removals:

If you did not sign up for this list or would like to be removed from
this list, please reply to this e-mail with REMOVAL in the subject line.
If you could also let us know why we lost you, we can better serve our
community.

--
Tori Baker
Executive Director