Re: [BSLWAC] LC Genre/Form (LCGFT) - Authority Records

Author: Backstage Library Works Authority Contol Listserv
To: Karen Anderson
CC: bslwac, highum
Subject: Re: [BSLWAC] LC Genre/Form (LCGFT) - Authority Records
Karen,

What you're suggesting as standard policy seems pretty reasonable to me.
It's likely that people will still send you records coded 655 _0 that
really should have been coded 655 _7 $2 lcgft, so matching first against
LCGFT is a good idea. If a match is not found within LCGFT authorities,
then I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of searching the 655 _0 term
against the LCSH authorities so that variant forms are flipped to the
authorized LCSH form, but this would only work correctly if you were also
able to keep the 655 tag in the bib records. Since matching 655 to 150
authorities might end up flipping the tag to 650, that would not be a
desirable outcome. So I think what you've suggested below makes sense.

Adam

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger