Re: [BSLWAC] LC Genre/Form (LCGFT) - Authority Records

Author: Backstage Library Works Authority Contol Listserv
To: bslwac
CC: highum
Subject: Re: [BSLWAC] LC Genre/Form (LCGFT) - Authority Records
Hi Adam,

Thank you for your response. In reviewing our planned policy we are
seeing the need to clarify what we are currently doing with 655-0
genres, and also slightly revise what we will do when LC moves all 155's
to the LCGFT. Currently we are matching 655-0 genres against LCSH 155
headings only (or 455 see-reference headings). If there is no match our
system does not move on to the 150 terms, even though they are allowable
by LC. So this shouldn't cause a conflict in situations such as yours
where you have separate subject and genre indexes.

After further discussion and consideration we feel that we should
continue the same policy rather than adjusting it so 150 terms are
searched if LCGFT headings aren't yet available. After LC deletes their
155 LCSH authorities and replaces them with new LCGFT authority records,
we will search 655-0 genres against the LCGFT and if there is no match
we will report them on our R07 Genre Unmatched Headings List rather than
moving on to search the LCSH 150 terms.

The above is (and will remain) our standard default policy, but if you
need custom matching rules for your particular situation, we are happy
to create them for you. For those of you who already have some
specialized rules, we will make sure they continue when LC puts out the
LCGFT authorities.

As always, comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome.

Thank you,

Karen Anderson
Authority Control Librarian
Backstage Library Works