Re: MtMan-List: San Luis Valley

Author: amm1616
To: Wynn
CC: History Lists
Subject: Re: MtMan-List: San Luis Valley

Guys,

   The San Luis Valley is for the most part in Colorado and is not mentioned much as

a place to winter over in. We do see early explorations and some who chose to winter

in Taos/Santa Fe area traveling through it. It is a early settlement area in the state, but

that is later than the fur trade (late 1850's).

     There are some early fur trade settlements just north and east of it (Hardscrabble,

Greenhorn, El Pueblo) and a few cabins of fur trade people we know with in it. Denise and I went

through ithe valley about a week ago from the south to the north as a different way to go back to

Denver. Sections are pretty, but can get hot and cold there; as cold air settles in the valley

and sits. Pike has his fort in the valley and it does have, like South Park, some "bannana belt

areas" where you see earlier Native year around living at, but not as a wintering

place.

                        mike.

Member of the Western Writers of America
Staff writer and lecturer for the early western American west and Freemasonry.