[Uhfenews] UHF Preservation ENEWSletter November 25, 2009

Author: uhfenews
To: uhfenews
Subject: [Uhfenews] UHF Preservation ENEWSletter November 25, 2009
SL Harware green copy

    uhf-logo

Preservation ENEWSletter

November 25, 2009

Preserving, promoting and protecting Utah’s historic built environment since 1966.

<http://www.utahheritagefoundation.org> www.utahheritagefoundation.org

Text Box: UHF EVENTSUHF Holiday Open House and Annual MeetingThursday, December 3, 2009
5:30 – 7:30 pmMemorial HouseVolunteer Appreciation BrunchSaturday, January 23, 201011:00 AM – Memorial HouseUtah Preservation Conference 2010
Thursday, April 29 – Saturday, May 1April 29 – Opening Night!April 30 – Heritage, Awards
Education SessionsMay 1 – Historic Homes Tour

colorado_mountains

Shop REI Online for the Holidays

and Benefit Utah Heritage Foundation!

When you access REI.com or REI-OUTLET through our link, Utah Heritage Foundation receives a 7% commission on any purchase you make.

As much as we love Utah’s historic buildings, we also enjoy the state’s magnificent natural landscapes. If you are shopping this holiday season with recreation and the outdoors in mind, you can also support Utah Heritage Foundation by clicking on the REI logo below or on our website at <http://www.utahheritagefoundation.org> www.utahheritagefoundation.org.

REI.com sells quality gear, clothing, and footwear for outdoor recreation. REI.com customers can enjoy free shipping to any of REI’s 90+ stores nationwide (of which there are two in the Salt Lake Valley).

Not sure what kind of tent your grandkids would like? You can also purchase REI gift cards and e-gift cards on the REI website.

Whether you are shopping for an alpinist or a friend who walks downtown to work, rain or shine, we hope this opportunity will provide a convenience to you as well as support the historic preservation programs of Utah Heritage Foundation.

<http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&mi=10248&pw=17861&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2F>

Happy Holidays from UHF!

ALSO IN THIS EDITION:

'Leftover Field': Clock is ticking to preserve Wendover site's often forgotten legacy – Chuck Gates, Deseret News, November 22

The envelope please: Utah architects lauded for design – Anne Wilson, The Salt Lake Tribune, November 13

Utah rock art canyon up for historic designation – Mike Stark, The Salt Lake Tribune, November 12

Riverton approves Crane House sale – Katie Drake, The Salt Lake Tribune, November 18

HOME FOR SALE

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION AROUND THE GLOBE

LOCAL ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION

'Leftover Field': Clock is ticking to preserve Wendover site's often forgotten legacy – Chuck Gates, Deseret News, November 22

<http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705346328/aposLeftover-Fieldapos-Clock-is-ticking-to-preserve-Wendover-siteaposs-often-forgotten-legacy.html> http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705346328/aposLeftover-Fieldapos-Clock-is-ticking-to-preserve-Wendover-siteaposs-often-forgotten-legacy.html

Info about daily tours of Wendover airfield: <http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705346343/Daily-tours-of-Wendover-airfield.html> http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705346343/Daily-tours-of-Wendover-airfield.html

The envelope please: Utah architects lauded for design – Anne Wilson, The Salt Lake Tribune, November 13

<http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13785547?IADID> http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13785547?IADID

Utah rock art canyon up for historic designation – Mike Stark, The Salt Lake Tribune, November 12

<http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13763014?IADID> http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13763014?IADID

Riverton approves Crane House sale – Katie Drake, The Salt Lake Tribune, November 18

<http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13817292?IADID> http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13817292?IADID

Back to top

HOME FOR SALE

Front Rear 2 Kitchen Bathroom

New Reduced Price – $172,500

Address: 274 S. 200 W. – St. George, Utah

MLS #09-113114

This 1930’s pioneer home is one of the last remaining granary houses in St. George, Utah. The owners, a Landscape Architect and Photographer restored every inch of the home in cooperation with the Utah Heritage Foundation. The home is now eligible to be listed as a property of historic significance.

Restoration enhancements include: Claw foot tub, pedestal sink, shaker cabinets, solid surface countertops, hickory hardwood downstairs and original hardwood in loft and stainless appliances.

Current upgrades include: Completely new wiring, new plumbing, new foundation under main house, roof completely re-decked and roofed with architecture shingles and new elastomeric paint.

The landscape features three water harvesting ponds that capture water and deliver it to tree roots. Drought resistance plants were chosen for the St. George climate and wherever possible, other natural products were substituted for concrete; including the driveway, which was kept as it would have been in the pioneer times.

This home would make the perfect bed & breakfast, vacation rental, or primary residence. It truly is a unique, one-of-a-kind property. Just take a look!

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Tammy Houchen, (435) 688-1900 OR <mailto:thouchen@???> thouchen@???

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION AROUND THE GLOBE

A presidential library with modest virtues – Philip Kennecott, The Washington Post, November 21

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/20/AR2009112001991.html> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/20/AR2009112001991.html

Surface Tension: Jean Nouvel and the art of the façade – Paul Goldberger, The New Yorker, November 23

<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/skyline/2009/11/23/091123crsk_skyline_goldberger> http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/skyline/2009/11/23/091123crsk_skyline_goldberger

LAPD Headquarters – Greg Goldin, The Architect’s Newspaper, November 18

<http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4040> http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4040

Zaha Hadid's stairway into the future – Jonathan Glancey, The Guardian, November 16

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/nov/16/zaha-hadid-maxxi-rome> http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/nov/16/zaha-hadid-maxxi-rome

Saving Century Plaza Hotel takes a whole village – Martha Groves, Los Angeles Times, November 21

<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-century-plaza21-2009nov21,0,3464346.story> http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-century-plaza21-2009nov21,0,3464346.story

Back to top

OUR ENEWSLETTER POLICIES

Distribution. The UHF ENEWSletter is distributed free every other Tuesday and in special editions to its subscription list.

To Unsubscribe. To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please send an email to <mailto:enews@???> enews@??? with the word ‘unsubscribe’ in the subject line and you will be removed from our list. To subscribe to this newsletter, visit our web site and enter your e-mail address in the box on the home page.

Information we collect. We only collect information you give us such as your name and address when you join. We may also record general traffic activity on our web site so that we can continually improve it, but this information is not specific to any one person.

Comments and contact. We hope you find this UHF ENEWSletter informative and helpful. As always, we are happy to hear your feedback. Comments are welcome at <mailto:enews@???> enews@???.

Utah Heritage Foundation │ P.O. Box 28 │ Salt Lake City │ UT │ 84110-0028 │ 801.533.0858 │ <http://www.utahheritagefoundation.org> www.utahheritagefoundation.org

banner_donated <http://www.nowplayingutah.com/>